A skateboard is a board that has four wheels. Skateboards are commonly used as an equipment for recreation and sports
The skateboard is controlled manually, that is, using one foot to push the skateboard. Or use the force of gravity on a steep path. Currently, many places provide an arena for skateboarding.
Skateboard has developed further with the addition of lithium-ion batteries, the use of two large wheels on the left and right sides, as well as the addition of a gyroscope and sensors to detect the user’s movement, known as a hoverboard.
Hoverboard literally means a board that floats. The hoverboard is inspired by several fictional films.
In the film, it is described that the hoverboard is a sled that floats very quickly using electromagnetic waves.
But actually, hoverboard is a term for a skateboard that has two wheels. Hoverboards are known as self-balancing skateboards. This means that the hoverboard can run automatically by balancing the body while standing on it.
Riding a hoverboard is not difficult as long as you get used to it. The following are the steps to ride a hoverboard:
- Make sure the hoverboard is fully charged. If it is not fully charged, the performance of the hoverboard won’t be optimal, so there is a possibility that the hoverboard suddenly goes off, and you could fall.
- If you’ve never ridden a skateboard before but want to try a hoverboard, make sure you practice on level ground. Also, find a road that allows you to maintain your balance easily, given that you’re not used to balancing on a hoverboard yet.
- Practice on gently sloping trails, such as roads for wheelchair users to get used to balancing on a hoverboard.
- Turn on the hoverboard. Do not ride the hoverboard when it is off because the hoverboard cannot balance automatically so you will fall.
- Stand up straight, then place your feet on the edge of the hoverboard. Put one foot first, preferably holding on to a pedestal, then put the other foot. The distance between the left and right feet should not be too close. The wide gap between the two legs can make it easier for you to balance your body when riding a hoverboard.
- Move your right foot to walk to the left, and vice versa.
- Walk slowly until the body starts to get used to be balanced on the hoverboard.
- If you want to turn clockwise, point your right toe down (slightly tiptoe). Try not to change the position of your left foot.
- To turn in the opposite direction, do the same with your left foot.
- If you want to step back, use the heels on both feet. The basis of hoverboard riding is body balance, and how you change the center of gravity on your feet to stay balanced.
- When you want to get off the hoverboard, lower one foot backwards, not forward. Try not to move the hoverboard forward and do not jump when it comes down from the hoverboard.
After applying these steps, there are some tips on riding a hoverboard, namely:
- Hoverboards can go at a 15-degree angle, and some hoverboards can even go at greater angles. For beginners, you should be careful because this height angle can destabilize the body’s balance.
- The hoverboard speed can be around 10 miles per hour or 15 km per hour. Some hoverboards will beep if you drive them at high speed. This sound acts as an alarm so that you can reduce the speed on the hoverboard. You can bend your knees to control the speed of the hoverboard.
- Use safety tools such as helmets, elbow protectors and knee protectors.
- If you are not used to riding a hoverboard or just begin to learn, don’t try to do any dangerous tricks on the hoverboard
- Some hoverboards can be used in off-road areas. But be careful because the uneven road can disturb your balance and you can fall because of it.
- If you want to play at night, use a hoverboard that has LED lights so you don’t get hit by people or vehicles. Or use a sticker that can reflect light
- Practice frequently so that you get used to balancing your body when riding a hoverboard
- Hoverboards are different from skateboards. How a hoverboard works is not the same as a skateboard. So you shouldn’t try tricks that can be done on a skateboard on a hoverboard so you don’t get injured
- Stay focused while playing so you don’t crash into anything.
Skateboarding and hoverboarding are sports or entertainment that are quite adrenaline-challenging, some even consider this entertainment as extreme.
So it takes practice and habituation to balance the body while on it. Although there is a risk of an accident from riding a hoverboard, this risk can be minimized by practicing frequently and maintaining safety while riding.