When going on vacation, there are many aspects that must be considered. Some of these aspects can be in the form of items to be brought, length of time for vacation, or the most important thing is checking the vehicle condition.
Why should you check the vehicle? When you’re driving, sometimes unexpected problems will arise.
Although nowadays everything can be solved online, but sometimes there are conditions where only we can fix the situation, so we must know how to overcome it.
One of the important things to pay attention to is motorcycle tires. How to check motorcycle tires condition before traveling, or when there is a problem on the way?
Before traveling, there are several things that must be checked on motorcycle tires, including:
1. Check Tire Tread
One of the problems that must be considered in tires is related to baldness. The legal minimum thickness for the tire tread is 1.6 mm.
Some sources recommend changing the tire when the tire tread is 3mm remaining. There are three ways to check tire tread:
- Coin test: tire thickness can be measured with a coin. How to do it? insert a coin into the groove of your tire tread. If you can’t see the outer edge of the coin, your tires are roadworthy. If you can see the rim of the tire, then you need to consult a tire expert about a replacement tire.
- Tire tread wear indicator: if the tire rubber is leveled with the indicator, then your tread is below the legal limit.
- Tire tread depth gauge: this professional tool is inexpensive and widely available and should be used before every long trip.
2. Check for Cracks and Bulges
Take a few minutes to do a quick check on your tires. If you notice any cracks, breaks, or cuts, then your tires may need to be replaced.
Pay particular attention to any bulges in the sidewalls on the tires that indicate separation in the tire structure and may result in tire failure during travel.
3. Check Tire Match
As you inspect the tread and sidewalls of your tires, take a minute to check that each pair of tires on both axles match in terms of size, load rating, and tread pattern.
Ideally, the four tires would be a matching set but if not, make sure you have the right pair of tires in terms of brand, tread, construction and load grade. The tire industry recommends that tires be changed every 5,000 miles for even wear.
4. Check Pressure
Always check tire pressure before traveling long distances, especially if carrying heavy loads. Check the pressure when the tires are cold and inflated to a pressure consistent with the load to be carried.
How to Check Tires When There is a Problem While Riding
When all the criteria above have been met, then your preparation can be said to be ready and you can travel. However, what if something unexpected happens?
- Your vehicle will shake violently. This occurrence is different from the usual damaged road problem or low air pressure problem. So, it will feel very uncomfortable and you should pay attention to the feeling and examine it.
- A flat tire will dissipate a lot of momentum. So, the vehicle will automatically slow down for no reason on a straight road (not on a 30° incline). You will need more effort to keep it running at the same speed. So, check the flat tire.
- Your steering wheel will require constant effort to keep the vehicle running straight. It will feel like pulling to one side. So, any abnormal and sudden feeling associated with your steering wheel should be enough to have your tires checked right away.
- It will make a sound that is different than usual. Tires will make noise due to friction on the asphalt road and the engine due to excessive pushing to maintain vehicle speed. This should be enough to request a tire check.
- People coming from the opposite direction are waving and yelling at you and pointing at the tires, and vehicles overtaking you and yelling at your tires. So when you hear (and see) people shouting ‘flat tire’, pull over immediately.
Those are few explanations regarding how to check the condition of motorcycle tires when going on a long trip. The best way to avoid unexpected problems with motorcycle tires is to do a motorcycle tire inspection before traveling.
It’s okay to delay your trip for a while and spend a little money on your motorcycle than having an accident while traveling.
However, if the incident still occurs and cannot be avoided, the main tips are to stay calm and ask for help from the nearest repair shop or people closest to you.